This is the birth of a new series explaining what the hell a multichannel system is, why you need it and why “I want a website, I sell on eBay & Amazon and want to smush everything together” opens up a can of whoop-ass on your world.
Here is how our story starts:
In the beginning….you sold on eBay, then you thought Amazon would be cool too. Now you want a website.
So before I design you the best website in the world we need some do organisation and planning to future proof this set up for obvious world domination.
Multi-CHANNEL systems are consolidated inventory and sales order processing systems that link to marketplaces such as eBay & Amazon. The really cool ones can link to an ecommerce website system as well as cope with international localisation and multiple languages. Hence the world domination.
Lets break it down to what you need:
1. One inventory system to control stock quantities across your website, eBay & Amazon.
2. One sales order processing system so you do ONE invoice run to cover sales from eBay, Amazon & your website.
3. One time creation of your product and launch it to eBay, Amazon & your website.
4. Ability to update stuff in bulk like pricing, details & inventory.
5. Do it all in French, German & Chinese and multiple currencies.
It is really hard to get your head around how a multichannel online business is set up unless you do it every day like I do.
In this series I will try to break it down so you have the basic tools to decide how your multichannel set up is going to look and how you achieve this.
Part 1 - To host or not to host, choosing between owning your system & subscribing
Part 2 – Standalone multichannel systems & what they do
Part 3 – A multichannel system essentials shopping list
Part 4 – Choosing your webstore
Part 5 – Complete end to end solutions
Part 6 – Integration into a live business